Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 1

last night I actually slept 1:30-7:30! I usually wake up at 6 on the first morning :) but part of that might be because of the freaking little sleep I got on the plane....

so as per tradition, this morning I went with my aunt and uncle (dad's side) to the botanical garden. the lotuses are in bloom :) although the leaves aren't nearly as pretty as last year. also, the mosquitoes are DEVILISH. I sat down by my uncle for 2 minutes and got 20 bites -__- Tiger Balm works miracles though. its like the Vapor Rub of Asia but much better :) my aunt says it's because of my sweet American blood and that when my program starts, all the mosquitoes will go to our motel and feast. how fantastic. 


my lovely aunt :)



my uncle (and me getting attacked unknowingly by mosquitoes)

aww, kids on a field trip :D

also went into the nearby art/history museum and saw works by Pu Xinyu, an artist/calligraphist during the end of the 1800s to mid 1900s. I've never been interested in Chinese art until AP Literature and AP World History this year!

stopped for lunch at a place famous for their noodles. that's right, cue drooling. my sister told me to not post pictures of food to not torture her, but how can I not?



came home, named my aunt's fish- Tofu, Fatty, Charlie Chaplin, Hong Xiuquan (because he's obnoxious and a rebel), Mini, Apollo, and there are four which no one can tell apart that I named all Dory Jr. gotta have a Finding Nemo reference in there somewhere ;)

it's not too humid today so it's pretty cool here (um. cool as in about 95 degrees- anything below 100 is pretty nice) although I can feel a farmer's tan coming on, uh oh.

When I got here, I told my aunt I wanted to have the Taiwan Beer (brand) fruit flavored beer- their mango beer is SO GOOD. (I'm legal here.) so today we went out and bought some banana flavored, lychee flavored, etc. the alcohol level is only 3.5% so it tasted like sparkling cider :P my family says that if I get drunk, maybe I can sleep better tonight haha

main room

People in Taiwan rarely turn on air conditioning in their houses despite the humidity and heat, and they almost always hang dry their clothes. It's an inconvenience, but I like it a lot better. Every time I go back to USA, the first thing that hits me is how spoiled America is (and we are; I am too, so no offense.) my aunt also has a complicated recycling-compost-trash system that we strictly follow because we all must do our part, she says! :)

9:02 PM right now, and I have not slept at all today. so proud :') must make it at least another hour! 


1 comment: